Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ann Arbor: Not Just for Urban Outfitters anymore


Disclaimer: I would like to offer my official apology in advance to anyone who resides in or near Ann Arbor. And to anyone who is a fan by choice or by relation to the University of Michigan.

With that said.

I hate going to Ann Arbor. For one reason and one reason only. I get lost every time I enter or leave that city. EVERY TIME without fail. I wish I was making this up but it's true. I went to Oakland University and was a member of a sorority. We had a sister chapter at U of M. They made me go there to drop off candles once. I was 18 years old. I had to be at this house by 4 pm. I didn't show up until 6. Why? Because I got lost on state street, main street, tree street, whatever it was. I think my fellow "sister" put a curse on me because ever since then I can not seem to navigate my way through the city. Even now. I'm all grown up and rely on my blackberry to point me in the right direction. I automatically develop dyslexia when I have to go to Ann Arbor. If it's not on the same street at Urban Outfitters, I'm lost, so don't ask.

I don't like U of M. I don't think the people there are bad. I could care less about their sports teams. I partially grew up in Maryland so I was a Georgetown Hoyas fan. Then when I moved to Michigan this bully at summer camp said to me.... "Adrienne! You live in Michigan now. You need to like Michigan or Michigan State. What'll it be?" I picked State and rolled with it. No particular reason other than I like the color green and I heard that school had a lot of fun. And I went to Oakland U. which didn't have a football team and didn't go Division 1 until 2000. So whatever.

But beyond my habitual disorientation and indifference towards the Wolverines...Ann Arbor has got a WHOLE lot to offer to the world other than the jacuzzi suites hotel and a big ass Salvation Army.

Music.

Keep reading. This blog is dedicated to those fellas doing it real big. You should be proud.!

No comments:

Post a Comment