Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ann Arbor's Talent Show Starring: Yoshi

I had the pleasure of meeting local hip hop artist, Yoshi last year at the Red Bull Music Academy Session. We chopped it up for a little bit about music ... nice dude.

Fast forward to Summertime 2009 and I'm talking to my homeboy D.Allie at the Mayer Hawthorne show in, where else... Ann Arbor. (For the record I got lost on my way to this show)

Me: Who's this Yoshi cat opening up for Mayer H.?
D.Allie: Oh! He's so dope!
Me: *blank face*
D.Allie: Do you like Lupe Fiasco?
Me: Yes
D.Allie: Then you'll like Yoshi. He's great! He's one of my favorites. I think you'll really like him.
Me: *blank face*

I have this conversation EVERY SINGLE TIME I haven't heard of someone. About 10% of the time I end up liking what I'm hearing. This time fell within that percentile! He came on stage and owned the crowd from the first #BAR. He had excellent stage presence...great mic skills...super smooth R&B infusion. (His big teddy bear hype man was a crooooooooooo-nerr!) The whole crowd was 2 stepping by the end of his set. I became a fan. But the thing is I didn't realize I had already met him! Once again we end up chopping it up. I cop his cd "Talent Show". (Yes I actually bought it at the show). Put it in the whip as soon as I left and loved it from track 1. It's funny. It's crisp. Definately a must for the rotation.

Fast forward to today...

He's released the video for his single "Magnetic" from "The Talent Show" featuring the homie Buff1 from the Athletic Mic League. The epilogue is a snippet from the track "Meet The Deadline". Great video. I give it 3 cupcakes out of 5. I would give it a 4 if I was in it. ha ha. Just not kidding.

Check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment