Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ann Arbor's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Ladies and Gentlemen (Ladies pay closer attention)....say hello to Ann Arbor/Ypsi's ATHLETIC MIC LEAGUE



Buff 1

14 KT

Grand Champ

Texture

Tres Styles

Vital

DJ Haircut

They've been delivering inherently intelligent hip hop around the country since '98. Talk about paying dues. I don't know about you, but I was eating personal pan pizzas every day from Oakland University's pizza hut in '98. When you listen to their music you can tell they work very hard to perfect their craft. Thier lyrics have depth and layers and the beats, done by their sub-league known as Lab Techs, are RIDICULOUS.

BUFF1....There's only 1 Buff. You know that ONE dude with that big smile who can rhyme his ass off and is usually wearing a crown? Buff is one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. And did I mention he can rhyme his ass off? I have gone to countless shows in my lifetime and I have to tell you that in my top 10 shows Buff 1 and Mayer Hawthorne fall right in line. Buff 1 released "There's Only 1" last summer and the whole mic league was there. It seriously was one of the best shows I have ever been to. I didn't know any of his lyrics walking in, but it felt like I knew everything by heart by the time I left. I even went to that show dolo.
Don't believe me? Peep his video for "Real Appeal" produced by 14 KT



14KT...He released "The Golden Hour" last year. I would like to rename this album as the "Platinum Gold 24 Hours", because these are some of the best beats I have heard in quite some time. This and Ghostface's new record is pretty much the only things I've been listening to. Since A-Side is getting a lot of shine world wide, I wanted to dive a little deeper and step outside of Detroit and find out who's really making noise. And 14KT is that dude. He's worked with Black Milk, Tanya Morgan, Guilty Simpson, Invincible, Now On (Also apart of the A.Side Family), World Famous Beat Junkies, Monica Blaire, D12 & Past Due. He has a classic musical structure. It's clear with defined lines and keeps you wanting more. What I love is that he's not afraid to mix it up. You can find him making selections from ghetto-tech to classic r&b and soul to straight street bangers and then back to gospel. Don't believe me? Well Red Bull thinks he's the shit and so do I.



DJ HAIRCUT... Well. He's Mayer Hawthorne. I am convinced that this guy is Jamaican. He's got like 5 jobs. He's a rapper. He's a crooner. He's a DJ. He's a producer. He's a 1/3 of a sick hip hop group! When he's not making me scream like a 16 year old circa 1962 watching the Beatles, he's doing all kinds of other dope shit.

Like laying hooks on my homeboy's tracks.



Like producing my FAVORITE SONGS with his fellow LabTechs...

Download: Guilty Simpson "Chief Pat Pockets"

Watch: Buff 1's "Beat The Speakers Up" (WARNING: LAB TECH BANGER!)



Making dope ass mixtapes... (I mean it's called Shoot The Duck, you should expect nothing less than greatness)



Click Here for a listen....but that's all you get, beacause this is sold out ------> HAIRCUT

He's also a part of one of my favorite groups out of MI...NOW ON...



He is the DJ for the AML AAAAND he's got BARS!!




Oh yea...and he's sings some classic soul songs too. So I've heard. Well at least that's what Ghostface Killah, Alicia Keys, Justin Timberlake and John Mayer told me. But they be some bullshit sometimes, so they could be lying. ;)



Ok...if you aren't convinced that Ann Arbor is doing great things and isn't just real estate for U of M...check out A.Side Worldwide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment